Want to volunteer at Our Orchard? Here’s some information on the role description and skills profile.
Volunteer for Our Orchard, University Hospital Llandough (UHL)
Why do you need me?
To develop, establish and maintain the Orchard space at UHL so that the area is an attractive and peaceful, pleasant place for patients, staff and visitors to enjoy
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
- An interest in gardening, conservation or pollinators
- No formal skills required but any gardening skills are useful
What activities will/could I be involved in?
- Watering plants and general plant care e.g. deadheading
- Keeping the garden areas clean and tidy
- Using tools and equipment safely
- General upkeep duties
All duties will be undertaken with guidance from the Horticultural Steering Group UHL
Is there an induction and training?
- You will receive volunteer and corporate induction when you start
- We will provide training/guidance you need to complete the role which will include correct use of tools and equipment and health and safety
What ongoing support/guidance will there be?
- You will be part of the Orchard volunteer team based at UHL
- Executive Assistant to the Hospital Manager and the UHL Maintenance Manager will be available for advice
- An induction will be provided
- You will receive support from the Volunteer Manager and Orchard project manager during your volunteer placement
How much time should I offer?
- We are looking for someone who is able to commit to about 2 hours per week
What time of day would you need me?
- The role is flexible about which weekday to volunteer; you will need to be available sometime between 9am and 5pm between Mondays to Friday
Will I need my own transport?
- You will need to be able to get to the University Hospital Llandough
What are the benefits to me?
- Making a difference to people in your community by improving their environment
- Sharing and developing your skills
What are the benefits to people who are supported by UHL?
- Improving the environment for people within the UHL; for patients undergoing treatment and their families, for staff during breaks and visitors to our site
- Making the hospital experience a more positive one
Will my expenses be paid?
- We offer to pay volunteers’ “out-of-pocket” expenses within agreed guidelines